Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Family time in Milano!

Well, it's midnight in Milan and tomorrow we head off for Cinque Terre. I'm excited but also kinda sad to be leaving my family here (P.S. it's Jon ;). I always love seeing Italy through the eyes of the people that live here.

It never ceases to amaze me that people you see every 5 years take you into their home as if they owe you something. Family interaction is pretty special over here, especially when people have "American" cousins. I can't even describe how bizarre it is that I feel completely at home in a country that I was not born in. I'm not sure how Heather has been with the yelling at dinner and hysterical laughter at dinner. She has been incredible even though the language is tough for her. My family have a habit of raising there voice when you ask them to repeat a phrase. They just love Heather and say how pretty she is. She has taken the whole experience in stride. Today we rode our bikes around downtown Milan today and it felt like it was our city....we felt Milanese!

My cousin Giovanni (not an original name in our family) and I are like brothers. I completely forgot how much Italians love to laugh. Some lady choked at the dinner table yesterday because she was laughing so hard. I too choked at the dinner table today, but that was because I could eat and talk at the same time......man did I feel like a jack ass.  My Italian is better than it has ever been and Heather's understanding is really impressive.

If you've ever been to Milan you, likely, felt underdressed even though there are lots of fanny packs. Everyone here seems to be dressed like someone out of a magazine. Don't be fooled, you can find clothes here for under a dollar; we even found shoes for under two bucks. I'm not sure how this is possible but there could be many reasons.

I've found so much food here. More importantly, I have met a lot of family that got word that Vincenzo's son is in the country.  I feel good when someone tells me I look like my father. :) I was hoping to find my dad's best friend Prospero in Troia (his hometown). Today I met a lady that brought a picture of my father when he was very young; I was pretty shocked but I don't know why. It turns out the "picture lady" is Prospero's sister and she called him to tell him I'm going. As soon as she hung up she insisted that I stay with him. She then went on to tell me that "the others" know I'm going and would like to meet me. Pretty cool but I'm not sure what kind of feelings are going to be stirred up in the town my father grew up in.....The sole reason for this trip is to visit Troia but now that we're getting closer I'm not sure what secrets Troia has, concerning my father. For example, I found out that there is a grave set up for my father there that I had no idea existed. Many people have told me that Troia is an ancient town that never changes. Maybe it's for that reason that I'm starting to feel a little uneasy and, maybe, a little more emotional......

Love to you all
the next one should be a little less heavy :)

5 comments:

  1. Hey Jon,
    I know exactly how you feel. When I arrived in my Dad's home town, Bassano del Grappa, I was filled with so much emotion. Seeing all these people that I never even knew existed - but they all came out of the woodwork. My Zia Luisa told people as we were walking down the streets " Mario's daughter" it was so special. She took me to where they grew up, where he swam as a child and where they went to church and school. I never felt so close to my dad as I did then. It was one of the most memorable times of my life. It was something I had to do and am so thankful I had the opportunity. I wish you all the best and hope that you find what you're looking for. I know for me, it brought a lot of closure, so I hope the same for you if you need it.

    By the way - hi Heather!!!!!! Love your pics.

    Ang and Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. "It never ceases to amaze me that people you see every 5 years take you into their home as if they owe you something."

    This cracked me up. Hospitality is awesome! And it sure sounds like you are getting A-1 treatment! It makes a good trip totally awesome!

    All that language prep is really paying off!

    Fanny packs... Gees I don't foresee that making a come back here. At least I hope not. But I guess with all those finely tailored pants, what are your options for carrying the requisite stuff (money, mobile phone, keys, note book, sun glasses, pasta, etc.)

    Hope the trip to Troia is a good experience. You can always lean on Heath, she's a good one.

    Thinking about both you and Heather lots and enjoying reading about your travels!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jon:

    Thanks for the link on facebook, it sounds like you guys are having a great time. I really liked hearing about what you said about the laughter and the yelling. It's awesome how passionately people in other parts of the world live.

    The fam and I are also out of the country on our way to Disneyland. We're in Sacramento right now. Our blog is: www.inheavenwithseven.com

    Anyway great to hear from you, I'll keep an eye on your adventures. Amazing pictures, that cathedral looked incredible. The pizza was pretty incredible too.

    Take care!!

    Shaun

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Jon & Heather!

    Sounds like an incredible trip so far....to say the least!
    I know what you mean about feeling under-dressed in Milan. Doesn't matter what you're wearing 'cuz somehow, you're still going to stand out. Lol.

    As for the food ... *sigh* .... what can you say, but it's fabulous! Have some gelato for me too while you're there. :)

    Anyway, I'm so happy you're been able to connect with so much of your family there. It's truly wonderful ... and, yes, always a bit awkward when everyone knows so much about you before you've even met. Gotta love big families for that though, and of course all their incredible hospitality. I really think your trip to Troia is going to be beautiful, especially because of all the family history that you'll find there. I'll be interested to hear all about it.

    Congrats on the impressive language skills Heather!
    Hope you're enjoying Cinque Terre!
    Miss you guys! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What an incredible experience for you both! Soak it all in and be open to whatever comes your way, as it sounds like you are.
    I look forward to reading all about your travels and wish you both safe travels.
    Hugs, Twig.

    ReplyDelete